The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is one of the five state-funded retirement plans and provides retirement, survivor, death and disability benefits on behalf of more than 230,000 members from 61 employers in Illinois, including state universities, community colleges and state agencies. SURS administers benefits and oversees a large investment program with assets approximating $21.8 billion.
The Application Developer (AD) participates in analysis, program design, coding, QA, documentation, implementation, support and other development tasks needed to produce web based applications utilized by both internal and external customers. AD demonstrates technical leadership and ability to function as a project resource.
- Codes/implements/integrates/documents necessary software objects (programs, reports, scripts, etc.) utilizing team's supported language/tools
- Collects System requirements and evaluates departmental web/client server application solutions, committed to customer server excellence
- Implements strategies necessary to reach objectives of the organization through the development and delivery of technology based applications
- Assists both internal staff and external vendors in finding solutions to their need for information as it relates to the interfacing of disparate applications throughout SURS
- Creates test plans and coordinates QA with end user community
- Provides guidance to management and staff in planning, designing and implementing technical solutions
- Develops and maintains an advanced technical skill set at a high level for database and web programming
Desirable Credentials and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in information systems or associate degree with programming courses and an additional three years of web development experience
- Five years experience in computers/information technology and software development
- Five years experience in database management
- Two years experience in report writing/development
- Five years experience coding in one or more of the team's programming languages
- Five years experience in the design, development, QA, maintenance and implementation of web-based applications in a multi-tier environment
- Five years of experience working with relational databases
- Two years experience developing reports using one or more of the team's reporting languages/tools
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to function well in stressful situations
- Ability to function well as part of a team
- Ability to resolve routine to complex problems by following departmental procedures with minimal guidance and supervision
Apply for this Position
This position is 100% in-office time. Applicants are subject to a background check as terms of hire.
SURS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.